HORN ACADEMY ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURE
Horn Families, welcome to a new school year! For the safety of your child, please read and follow the Arrival and Dismissal Procedures listed below. We need to dismiss over 850 students each day safely and efficiently – following these procedures is imperative for the safety of all Horn students and families.
School Hours are 7:45 a.m. to 3:05 p.m.
Dismissal for all students* is 3:05 p.m.
No Entry to Office Area between 2:30 – 3:15 p.m.
Information below is listed for you to determine the best arrival and dismissal plan for your student(s). If you have not already done so, please communicate your dismissal plan to your student(s) homeroom teacher. Any changes in your dismissal plan must be sent in writing to your student(s) homeroom teacher. There is NO ENTRY to the office between 2:30 and 3:15 p.m. If your child has an appointment, please make arrangements to pick them up before 2:30 pm.
School Doors Open at 7:15 a.m. DO not drop off your students earlier than 7:15. Students arriving to school campus prior to 7:45 a.m. must wait in the Cafeteria until released to their classrooms. Students arriving after 7:55 a.m. must report to the office for a tardy slip.
2:50 p.m.: *SLC, *Pre-K, and *HISD Bus Riders dismissed to Exit A (Holly Street exit)
2:55 p.m.: Kindergarten dismissed to Exit B (Ave. B) and Daycare Bus Riders
3:00 p.m.: 1st through 5th Grade dismissed to Exit B (Ave. B) or Exit C (Carpool)
3:10 p.m.: All students not picked up at dismissal will be taken to the front office to wait for their parent/caregiver.
EXIT A / HOLLY STREET:
- This exit is for HISD Bus Riders, SLC and Pre-K Students ONLY.
- SLC and Pre-K parents/caregivers must wait outside at the base of the school steps for children at dismissal.
- No waiting inside the building during dismissal. No Carpool or curbside pick up for Pre-K Students.
EXIT B / AVENUE B:
- This exit is for Kindergarten through 5th grade who Walk/Bike/Scooter, and Day Care Buses
- Walkers enter through the South Gate on Avenue B (gate closest to Holly Street).
- Bikes and Scooters enter through Ave. B North Gate at arrival
- At Dismissal:
- Grades K-1 Walkers exit through Ave. B South Gate (K parent/caregiver must present release form from August 28-September 22)
- Grades 2-3 Walkers, Grades 1-5 Bikes and Scooters exit through Ave. B Center Gate
- Grades 4-5 Walkers exit though Ave. B North Gate
- If it is raining: Grades K-2 exit at South Gate, Grades 3-5 exit at North Gate
- Children who walk home without adult supervision must cross the street with a Crossing Guard.
Crossing Guards are posted at Pine St. and Avenue B, and Holly St. and Avenue B
EXIT C / CARPOOL LANE:
- Pull all the way up and next to the curb. Safety Patrol is not allowed to step off the curb to assist.
- DO NOT exit your vehicle at any time. Students should exit from passenger side only.
- No cell phone usage in the carpool lane, or in posted school zones. This is a Texas State Law.
- Carpool Signs are required and should be displayed/visible on passenger side visor
CARPOOL SIGNS should be written in LARGE BLOCK LETTERS on 8 ½ x 11 paper and include:
FIRST NAME, GRADE #
-Fill out your student(s) information, print, and place on your car passenger visor. Please make extra Carpool sign(s) for additional vehicles/caregivers picking up your student. Laminating your sign will help it last longer.
Please direct any questions to the PTO Traffic Committee via email: email@example.com